You can find on this page the Atlanta old map to print and to download in PDF. The Atlanta historical map and the vintage map of Atlanta present the past and evolutions of the city of Atlanta in Georgia - USA.
The Atlanta old map shows evolutions of Atlanta city. This historical map of Atlanta will allow you to travel in the past and in the history of Atlanta in Georgia - USA. The Atlanta ancient map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
The history of Atlanta dates back to 1836, when Georgia decided to build a railroad to the U.S. Midwest and a location was chosen to be the line terminus as its shown in Atlanta historical map. The stake marking the founding of "Terminus" was driven into the ground in 1837 (called the Zero Mile Post). In 1839 homes and a store were built there and the settlement grew. Between 1845 and 1854 rail lines arrived from four different directions, and the rapidly growing town quickly become the rail hub for the entire Southern United States. During the American Civil War, Atlanta, as a distribution hub, became the target of a major Union campaign, and in 1864 Union General Sherman troops set on fire and destroyed the city assets and buildings, save churches and hospitals.
After the war the population grew rapidly, as did manufacturing, while the city retained its role as a rail hub. Coca-Cola was launched here in 1886 and grew into an Atlanta-based world empire. Electric streetcars arrived in 1889, and the city added new "streetcar suburbs". The historical city elite black colleges were founded between 1865 and 1885, and despite disenfranchisement and the later imposition of Jim Crow laws in the 1910s, a prosperous black middle class and upper class emerged. By the early 20th century, "Sweet" Auburn Avenue was called "the most prosperous Negro street in the nation". In the 1950s blacks started moving into city neighborhoods that had previously kept them out, while Atlanta's first freeways enabled large numbers of whites to move to, and commute from, new suburbs. Atlanta was home to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and a major center for the Civil Rights Movement as you can see in Atlanta historical map. Resulting desegregation occurred in stages over the 1960s. Slums were razed and the new Atlanta Housing Authority built public housing projects.
From the mid-60s to mid-70s, nine suburban malls opened, and the downtown shopping district declined (see Atlanta historical map). But just north of it, gleaming office towers and hotels rose, and in 1976 the new Georgia World Congress Center signaled Atlanta rise as a major convention city. In 1973 the city elected its first black mayor, Maynard Jackson, and in ensuing decades, black political leaders worked successfully with the white business community to promote business growth, while still empowering black businesses. From the mid-70s to mid-80s most of the MARTA rapid transit system was built. While the suburbs grew rapidly, much of the historical city itself deteriorated and the city lost 21% of its population between 1970 and 1990. In 1996 Atlanta hosted the Summer Olympics, for which new facilities and infrastructure were built. Hometown airline Delta continued to grow, and by 1998-9, Atlanta airport was the busiest in the world. Since the mid-90s, gentrification has given new life to many of the city intown neighborhoods. The 2010 census showed blacks leaving the city, whites moving to the city, and a much more diverse metro area with heaviest growth in the exurbs at its outer edges.
The Atlanta vintage map give a unique insight into the history and evolution of Atlanta city. This vintage map of Atlanta with its antique style will allow you to travel in the past of Atlanta in Georgia - USA. The Atlanta vintage map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
The vintage region where Atlanta and its suburbs were built was originally Creek and Cherokee Native American territory. In 1813, the Creeks, who had been recruited by the British to assist them in the War of 1812, attacked and burned Fort Mims in southwestern Alabama as its mentioned in Atlanta vintage map. The conflict broadened and became known as the Creek War. In response, the United States built a string of forts along the Ocmulgee and Chattahoochee Rivers, including Fort Daniel on top of Hog Mountain near present-day Dacula, Georgia, and Fort Gilmer. Fort Gilmer was situated next to an important Indian site called Standing Peachtree, named after a large tree which is believed to have been a pine tree (the name referred to the pitch or sap that flowed from it). The word "pitch" was misunderstood for "peach," thus the site name. The site traditionally marked a Native American meeting place at the boundary between Creek and Cherokee lands, at the point where Peachtree Creek flows into the Chattahoochee. The fort was soon renamed Fort Peachtree.
In 1830 an inn was established which would be known as Whitehall due to the then unusual fact that it had a coat of white paint when most other buildings were of washed or natural wood as its shown in Atlanta vintage map. Later, Whitehall Street would be built as the road from Atlanta to Whitehall. The Whitehall area would be renamed West End in 1867 and is the oldest existing intact Victorian neighborhood of vintage Atlanta. In 1835, some leaders of the Cherokee Nation ceded their territory to the United States without the consention of the majority of the Cherokee people in exchange for land out west under the Treaty of New Echota, an act that led to the Trail of Tears. In 1836 the Georgia General Assembly voted to build the Western and Atlantic Railroad to provide a trade route to the Midwest. The initial route was to run from Chattanooga to a spot called simply "Terminus," located somewhere east of the Chattahoochee River, which would eventually be linked to the Georgia Railroad from Augusta and the Macon and Western, which ran from Macon to Savannah.
The first Georgia Railroad freight and passenger trains from Augusta, to the east, arrived in September 1845 and in that year the first hotel, the Atlanta Hotel, was opened as you can see in Atlanta vintage map. In 1846, a second railroad, the Macon & Western (orig. "Monroe Railroad"), completed tracks to Terminus, connecting the little settlement with Macon and Savannah to the southeast. The vintage town then began to boom. In late 1846, the Washington Hall hotel was opened. By 1847, the population had exploded to 2,500 citizens. In 1848, the first mayor was elected, the first homicide occurred and the first jail was built. A new city council approved the building of wooden sidewalks, banned business on Sundays, and appointed a town marshal. In 1849, Atlanta third and largest antebellum hotel was built, the Trout House, and the Daily Intelligencer became the town first successful daily newspaper. In 1850 Oakland Cemetery was founded southeast of the town, where it still stands today.